If you are a busy mum with a to-do list that requires 48 hours of your time and wants to eat well but haven’t got the time to spend in the kitchen, then this meal prep guide is perfect for you!
Here at Kenwood Malaysia, we understand that planning an entire week’s worth of meals and snacks may feel overwhelming. As such, we recommend starting small and preparing them in advance. The key is about finding what works for you.
Read on as we share more about what meal prep is and three meal prep ideas that you can try out at home.
What is meal prep?
When it comes to counting the time you spend in the kitchen daily preparing meals, it can quickly add up by the end of the week. And, if there is one thing that busy mums don’t have, it’s time. But this is where meal preparation, otherwise known as meal prep, comes in. By spending once or twice a week chopping, dicing, grinding, cooking, and packing your and your loved ones’ meals, you can save a lot of hours off your weekly cooking schedule.
While prepping a week’s worth of meals can seem daunting for some, you do not have to fret. Meal prep can also be done by using your food chopper to chop ingredients, blenders, electric mixers, toasters, and sandwich makers for bread – all to make the process a lot easier and more convenient.
Now you know what meal prep is, here are 3 recipes or ideas that busy mums can try perfecting to fit their palates:
Chicken Tacos With Mango-Avocado Salsa
Just because you are doing a hassle-free meal prep routine doesn’t mean you have to give up on satisfying your palate. The taco and salsa are a perfect manifestation of this notion - surprisingly easy to make and still provide delight with every bite.
While a food chopper or blender isn’t a must-have for this recipe, using one can help in speeding up the meal prep process. Having an electric mixer can also help in salsa making to ensure that everything blends evenly and thoroughly.
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
½ cup diced peeled mango
½ cup diced peeled avocado
½ cup chopped tomato
⅓ cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
4 (8-inch) brown rice tortillas
- Marinate the chicken breasts with garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, ground red pepper, and salt.
- Using a non-stick skillet, heat it over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the base
- Add in marinated chicken breasts and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove chicken from the pan before letting it stand for 5 minutes
- Cut them into ¼ -inch-thick slices
- While the chicken cooks, you can combine mango and the next 6 ingredients in a blender.
- Once everything is blended smoothly into the desired consistency, stir in your fresh cilantros.
- Warm tortillas over the pan as you top it evenly with your cooked chicken and mango-avocado salsa.
Whipped Mashed Potatoes and Cream Cheese
If you’re a cheese-lover, then you know it’s never right to shy away from a block of cream cheese – and that even applies to mashed potatoes. Adding cream to fluffy whipped potatoes may not be unheard of but mashing your warm potatoes with softened cream cheese creates an altogether different taste and texture.
How you choose to whip the potatoes is up to you. However, we do recommend using food preparation tools like an electric stand or hand mixer to achieve that rich and creamy texture.
Recipe Yield: 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
4 pounds russet potatoes
4 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
¼ cup butter (melted)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Additional melted butter (optional)
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
- Peel and cube your potatoes.
- Place them in a large pot and add water to cover them.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil before reducing the heat and removing the pot’s cover.
- Cook the potatoes till tender (approx. 12-15 minutes).
- Drain the water.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the mixture and beat till light and fluffy.
- If needed, top the mashed potatoes with additional melted butter.
- Sprinkle with green onions.
- Serve or pack it.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bars
For those seeking something a little more nutritious yet easy to prepare and pack, this oatmeal recipe bar is just for you. Bursting with nutrition, vitamins, and flavour, this natural snack is ideal not only for breakfast but also midday pick-me-ups.
While this recipe only requires 15 minutes to make with a food processor or blender, the energy bars still must sit in the fridge for at least two hours. So, be sure to set aside time for making them before serving.
Recipe Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
1 cup nuts, such as pecans, walnuts, cashews, almonds, etc.
1 cup old-fashioned oats
½ cup raisins OR dried cranberries
2 tablespoons chia seeds
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
½ cup peanut butter OR any nut butter
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a bowl of your food processor, pulse the nuts until they are finely grounded. Take note to stop before they start turning into nut butter.
- Add the oats, raisins, chia seeds, cinnamon, and nutmeg to your grounded nuts.
- Use 5 pulses (one second each) to combine the ingredients.
- Add peanut butter, honey, and vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Pulse until all the ingredients have the same consistency.
- Scrape the mixture into a large baking dish (preferably 8-by-8 inches).
- Press it down firmly to create an even layer.
- Cover and chill for two hours or until firm before using a knife to slice it into bars
- Store in an airtight container or serve.
Make Your Meal Prep Easier with Kenwood Cooking Appliances
From food preparation tools to kitchen appliances and baking equipment, Kenwood Malaysia has them all. Enjoy the unrivalled performance and unrivalled sophistication in design when you shop Kenwood for all your food-related and meal prep needs.
Shop Kenwood Malaysia online today.